Another great event from Don Taylor and the team – there are plenty of other blog reviews about this event, I will restrict mine to a few key things I heard.
From Lord Puttnam’s keynote:
I wonder just how many trainers in our work life are considered in that way!
Mark Oehlert – Defense Acquisition University on Social Media
For me, the best session of the whole conference and worth the fee alone!
- “The illterati of the 21st Century will not be those who cannot read and write but those cannot learn, un-learn and re-learn.”
- “Incremental change is ok until you hit the big **** wall!”
- It’s not “I think therefore I am”, it should “We think therefore We are”
- People don’t hate change, they hate how YOU are trying to change them!” – we all voluntarily undergo major changes in our lives – jobs, marriage, kids so clearly it’s not change itself that we hate.
- Put yourself in the shoes of your learner – our metric isn’t always the same as theirs”
- L&D Produces products, Knowledge Management produces activities
- “The US Airforce will give a pilot a £30m aircraft full of deadly tools – so why not trust them with Facebook at work?” (They do btw)- If you have email and telephones, you already have a trust problem!
The Defence Acquisition University make a lot of their content public via iTunes! Search for DAU in iTunesU. (I found some content on Six Sigma for example)
- Would you like less email?
Wiki’s aren’t just about an online encyclopaedia! – I often use this video from CommonCraft to show the use of Wiki’s as a project tool.
If you are a twitter user, follow Mark and a lof of like minded people by searching for LRNCHAT – takes place weekly but you can view any time of course. I diod this after the event and boy, is there a lot of useful content tucked into these chats!
To make this all happen: THINK BIG, START SMALL, MOVE FAST
I have always been a great advocate of the use of knowledge management thinking in the learning world and the use of Social Networking tools is making this a reality.